January starts a new year and a new tax season. In the next month, you’ll receive an array of IRS forms reminding you that it’s time to file. The deadline this year is Monday, April 18, 2016, but once you’ve received all your forms it’s never too early to file. For standard filers, here’s what you might expect to get in the mail:
- Form W-2 from your current or past employers.
- Form 1099-INT or 1099-DIV from any financial institutions from whom you earn interest.
- Contractors will receive form 1099-MISC with total miscellaneous income earned.
- Homeowners will receive form 1098 with total mortgage interest payments.
- Students will receive form 1098-T with total tuition paid; students with loans will receive form 1098-E with total interest paid on student loans.
If you’re a small business owner, you’ll need to provide your tax preparer with a profit and loss statement so that they can complete a Schedule C.
Give us a call or talk to your preparer for a complete list of forms needed to complete your return.